Professional Code of Conduct
These are code of professional ethics approved by the Institute’s Governing Council, binding on all members who have applied to join the Institute. Members undertake to abide by the rules and regulations of the Institute.
Members shall not use their authority / advantage of office for personal gain and shall uphold, ensure posterity of the profession of Financial and Investment by:
- Being thoroughly transparent; reject any business practice which might be reasonable deemed improper, fraudulent and corrupt in practices.
- Ensure optimization of resources for which they are responsible to provide the maximum benefits of their employing organization.
- Maintain at all time integrity, in all their business/ transactions within and outside their employing organization or business.
- Promote the Institute and display professional competency among those for whom they are responsible.
- Ensure compliance with the letter and the spirit of the law of the country in which they practice;
- Guidance on professional practice as may be issued by the institute from time to time.
- Contractual Obligations.
Guide to above details
- Accuracy of information:- Information made available to members in the course of duty should be true and fair as such must not be misleading.
- Confidential information:- Information made available to members in the course of duty must be respected, not used for personal advantage/ gain and be treated with all confidentiality.
- Gift:- Any form of gift other than items of very small intrinsic value such as diaries or calendars should not be accepted whereby it shall be deemed to have been used to influence a decision.
- Interest:- Any interest which might be deemed by others as impartial in the course of carrying out duty must be declared by members.
- Advisory:- Any Advisory counsel given by member(s) of the institute must be professional, sound and of utmost good faith.
Section 40 of the constitution of the Chartered Institute of Financial and Investment Analysts, Nigeria mandate the disciplinary committee to investigate, consider and determine cases of members reported to have breached the code of conduct , where any gross misconduct has been established against member(s), such members may be, depending on the situation and gravity of the offence, admonished, reprimanded, suspended or delisted from the Institutes’ register.
FUNCTIONS OF THE INSTITUTE
The functions of the Institute shall be:
- To provide an organization, National and International in scope and activity for all Investment and Financial Analysts, Economists and Managers in all sectors. To develop from time to time standards in Finance and Investment that will meet both Nigeria and International standards.
- To unite all Nigerians holding local and foreign finance and investment qualifications who are been employed as finance experts in industrial and financial and Investment consultants and the public service of the federation.
- To ensure a professional status necessary to promote and encourage the study and development of art and science of finance and investment private practice, industry, commerce and public sector.
- To secure the highest professional standards by admitting to membership only persons who qualify by examination and who have practical experience. To regulate the discipline and professional conduct of members.
- To hold conferences, Workshops, seminars and symposia for discussion of Finance and Investment Analysis, presentation of papers, Literatures and to issue copies of abridgment of position papers, books, Lectures, records and other memoranda.
- To instill high standard of professional ability by means of regular publication of journal of the Institute and to disseminate knowledge in professional Financial and Investment analysis.
- To keep abreast of new regulations or policies that may affect the industry as well as monitor the economy to determine its effect on earnings.
- To protect the interest of our members from time to time.
The rights and obligations of members shall be:
- The use of the designatory letters depending on your grade of membership A.cfia for Associate, M.cfia for Full member and F.cfia for Fellow.
- Right of conferment with membership status, certificate of membership and be issued practicing license to set up Professional practice provided you meet up with the requirements.
- Right to freely receive the institute journals and other publications which are of interest to you (if published) and any other information or to participate in institute’s activities as it may warrant.
- Right to vote and be voted for during elections.
- Right to use institute’s library.
- Any other rights and benefits, accruable and be determined fit by the council.
Obligations of the members to the institute
- To uphold at all times integrity of the institute’s mandates, visions and objectives
- To be a worthy ambassador wherever and whenever
- To pay up all dues payable to the institute without delay
- To update their knowledge and skills through attendance of institute’s seminars, workshops and conferences
- To act in conformity to guidelines issued by the institute for the benefit of members
- To avoid defamatory statements or attitudes inimical to progress of the institute.
COMMITTEES OF THE INSTITUTE
Membership/ Student Affairs Committee
Ethics and privileges Committee
Education and Examination Committee
Research and Publication Committee
Finance/ Account Committee
Protocol / Welfare Committee
Our real essence
As a catalyst, we constantly seek to ensure your professional relevance beyond expectation!
Our mission : S-T-O-C-K:- Strive Technically and Operationally to Contribute to Knowledge and Society.
Our Vision : B-O-N-D: Becoming An Organ of National Development.